Saturday 9 February 2013

Why am I doing this???



Welcome to my blog. In four months' time I'm planning to walk over 900 miles from John O' Groats to Land's End in aid of Cancer Research UK. This blog will be the record of my journey, from planning the route to booking the accommodation, and from embarking on my first steps on the walk itself to hopefully completing this arduous trip at Land's End.

I really hope that you might consider making a donation to my chosen charity, Cancer Research UK, to enable me to reach my target of over £10,000.

On being informed about my planned walk, the reaction of most people is to ask why I'm doing it. Their enquiry is often accompanied by unspoken words, which I interpret through their body language as questioning my sanity. They may prove to be right!

In essence, there are three main reasons why I'm undertaking the walk.

Firstly, after over 30 years working for the same company, I'm leaving ('retiring') at the end of this month. But retirement isn't for me (yet!), so I've decided to embark on a 'project' that would help me transition from my previous working life and look forward towards new ventures in the future. This 'project' had to be a challenge, an adventure that would be both physically and mentally demanding. Some might interpret this as a male mid-life crisis project - perhaps it is, although probably not as dangerous or costly as purchasing a Harley Davidson or a fast sports car!  
 
Secondly, I really wanted to raise some funds for charity. At university and throughout my twenties I'd been actively involved in fundraising for several charities but, as with many people, careers and family gradually edged out this good work. My 'project' would give me the opportunity to embrace others to help to achieve a significant contribution to a worthy cause, in this case to Cancer Research UK.   
 
Finally, I'm undertaking the walk because I have the opportunity to do it. Finishing work has created an unprecedented chance to do something that lasts more than the traditional couple of weeks' annual holiday, but I also sensed that I should embark on this challenge while I am physically able, rather than looking back with regret in the years ahead. 

In my next blog, I'll explain why the challenge I've chosen is walking from John O' Groats to Land's End. In future blogs, I'll share with you the trials and tribulations of route planning and accommodation booking.
 
 
Many thanks to all who have donated so far. For those who haven't, please feel free to contribute via the JustGiving link on this page. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the LEJOG club, look forward to following your blog, the prep and the walk itself. Your in for a great time.

    Russ
    www.russwalk.co.uk

    ReplyDelete