Friday 2 August 2013

Day 57: Mousehole to Land's End

Distance: 11.0 miles
Time: 4 hrs
Weather: Sunny
Cumulative distance: 955.8 miles

The final day. A gentle stroll with the children, one last missing footpath, arrival at Land's End and, eventually, home.

We had a late family breakfast (nine o'clock being the earliest possible), then Daniel, Hannah and I set off in glorious sunshine. Time prevented us from following the coast path, so we walked along minor country lanes to Lamorna, then joined a track which climbed out of the valley.

Fate had decreed that there should be one final detour due to a disappearing footpath. The initial signpost was present and the map clearly set out the route between two farms. Reality led us to a field of wheat and another field blocked by wire netting. I adopted my usual approach - don't panic, head in the right general direction and cross fingers and toes. Fortunately it worked again as we rejoined a minor road, resulting in only a small detour.

We were all a little thirsty, so when a country pub appeared out of the blue, we readily agreed to stop for final refreshments. We walked the final few miles along a B road, then Carole joined us for the last quarter of a mile to Land's End. Due to the detour and additional stops, I was one hour later than planned, but it didn't matter.

Crossing the official finish line was, to my surprise, not an emotional experience. No sense of relief, more sadness that the journey was over. The sun was shining, which felt like a really fitting end after two months of remarkably good weather. We walked to the reception at the Land's End Hotel, where I had my official record card stamped, then strolled over to the official signpost for the obligatory photo. As the photographer snapped away, a crowd of onlookers burst into applause.

We had lunch at the hotel restaurant - I celebrated with a Greek salad and a pint of Tribute ale. Then it was time to depart for home. Job done.

We called in very briefly at East Raddon Farm, to visit Sylvia and her family. Unsurprisingly, her hospitality stretched to tea and cakes. We finally arrived home at 11pm.

I've decided to keep my blog running for a few more days. I'll set out my observations on the overall journey, but I've also been requested to list my favourite walks, views, accommodation and meals etc, so I'll include those too.

3 comments:

  1. Fantabulous!!! What a wonderful achievement - well done! Although I will miss the daily blog updates ... What have you got planned next?!?
    Best wishes, Niki Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant and well done. I'd go for boot sponsorship - they have done you proud!! only 2 pairs for 955 miles.
    Will catch up soon.
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Russell. Absolutely amazing what you have done! I'm first in line for your autograph!! Take care, Sue Evans

    ReplyDelete