Sunday 4 August 2013

Mission accomplished! My initial observations......

Now that the dust has settled and I've unpacked my rucksack, put away my walking boots and cleared my mountain of mail, I've had a chance to reflect on my two month journey and offer some initial observations.

I set off in early June with three main objectives: to survive, to raise as much money as possible for Cancer Research UK, and to enjoy myself.

I survived! After I'd resolved the issues with my right boot in the first week, I was untroubled for the rest of the walk. I was surprised at how well my mind and body coped with the daily onslaught. I didn't wake a single day with any doubts about walking and I feel fitter than I've felt in many years. My feet are in good condition and bear no scars from almost a thousand miles of action.

I'm really grateful to everyone who donated to the cause, from people I know well, to complete strangers. I've raised over £13,500 to date and am confident that I can achieve my increased target of £15,000. Donations still welcome!

My immediate reaction is to state that I did enjoy most of the journey. Yes, there were moments (ok, minutes!) when blisters or excessive heat caused discomfort, but these periods were completely overridden by the wonderful scenery and the companionship of fellow walkers. In truth, my level of enjoyment increased as the walk progressed, perhaps as the prospects of completion increased.

I put much time into route planning and accommodation booking earlier in the year, so am delighted that my efforts paid off. With the exception of a few footpaths which did not materialise, the routes were a great success, often managing to balance conflicting objectives of the shortest route and the most scenic. My accommodation exceeded all expectations, not only in terms of providing a bed, a hot bath or shower and breakfast, but particularly with regard to the friendly and welcoming hospitality offered by my hosts.

My equipment served me well. My walking boots had to be stretched, then eventually replaced due to wear and tear, but my second pair had no opportunity to be broken in, yet remained completely comfortable to the end. My rucksack accommodated everything with ease and, though quite heavy, fitted well. My waterproofs had very limited use, but performed well when called upon. Star item was my smartphone, which acted as phone, text, internet, GPS mapping, camera, weather alert, and blog provider - all from a device which fits in my pocket.

My approach to the entire journey was to take each day at a time. While this sounds like a sporting cliche, it allowed me to focus on the current walk and not be overwhelmed by the daunting prospect of the bigger picture. I found that this approach worked well for me and took pleasure out of ticking off each day's completed mileage.

I'd expected the first week or so of the journey from John O' Groats to be lonely, but I underestimated the scale and duration of this. I hadn't expected to see or communicate with so few people during the walk, but even on the Great Glen Way and the West Highland Way, most walkers were travelling in the opposite direction, which limited the opportunity for enhanced conversation.

My lasting impression of the walk is that Great Britain is still very much a green and pleasant land. Scotland is much greater in length than most people appreciate, but my route slice through England and Wales included so few urban or industrial areas (Preston, Liverpool and Avonmouth), that it is difficult not to view most of the walk as rural. As a consequence, I encountered varied landscapes of hills and valleys, rivers and canals, farmland and forests, a slower pace of life, a closer relationship with nature and a heightened sense of community, history and tradition. Long may it remain.

I really enjoyed meeting up with family and friends during the journey, although practically this was mainly restricted to England and Wales. It was fantastic to meet up with people I hadn't seen for some time (some for over twenty years), even if it was only a fleeting visit. Similarly, it was good to walk with companions, even if some left in greater pain than they arrived!

Another overarching memory is of the kindness of strangers, not just in donating to my cause, but in frequently going way beyond the normal boundaries. This extended to accommodation providers, walkers, pub landlords, shop owners and complete strangers - the man who invited us to join his family for a drink when the local inn was closed was not an isolated example.

I can't review my journey without mentioning the weather. I read a few blogs from people who'd undertaken the same journey in the summer of 2012 and they regularly mentioned rain, waterproofs, mud and puddles. I duly planned for similar conditions, so was pleasantly surprised that northern Scotland provided sunshine. What I didn't expect was the extended heatwave, from Lancashire to Somerset. This provided an additional challenge to the hilly Offa's Dyke section of the walk, especially in ensuring that sufficient liquids could be obtained en route. The rain I experienced was pitifully little, so my waterproofs barely made a handful of appearances in 57 days.

My gripes are few and insignificant. Some footpaths were poorly signposted or overgrown (some were both!), some A roads did not cater for pedestrians and cyclists to the point of being dangerous (mostly in Cornwall) and too many pubs were closed when there is clearly demand for them at lunchtimes.

A number of people have already asked if I would repeat the journey. My straight answer is that I would, with minimal changes, but I simply couldn't replicate the unique atmosphere and circumstances of undertaking the walk for the first time, such as the prospect of a journey into the unknown or the fundraising challenge. However, I'm sure there's another adventure in the making.........

My next blog will report my favourite accommodation, meals, walks and views, as well as paying tribute to some heroes and heroines.

1 comment:

  1. I only met your very briefly at Nick Barnes's wedding in Isleworth, but I've been following your journey and it's been amazing to see how well you coped with it all - I'm sure this isn't the case, but you seemed to have breezed it! Congratulations, and I look forward to reading about more walks in the future.

    ReplyDelete