Thursday 6 June 2013

Day 0: Wraysbury to Wick

The original plan was to catch the 6am bus from the end of the road to Heathrow terminal 5, but the children then decided that they wanted to go with me in the car. Even Daniel, who normally struggles to get out of bed for school, managed to spring downstairs. My rucksack was wrapped in bubble wrap for the flight, so carrying to the bag drop was a challenge!

The flight from Edinburgh to Wick was delayed by an hour, which was apparently something to do with the crew having the wrong security passes. The flight was busy, with most people flying up for the Deloitte's cycle ride from John O'Groats to Land's End which starts on Saturday.My seat on the plane was double booked, but more worrying was being informed that I would have to open the cabin doors if there was an emergency! With the skies clear, there were fantastic views of the Forth Bridge and snow capped peaks.
The sun was shining in Wick and, as I had an hour or so to wait before I could check in to my B&B, I sat by the sea to read my many good luck messages. The B&B hosts were very welcoming and this will be a good base for the next couple of days.
Decided to eat at Wetherspoons in the town, where service was remarkably efficient compared to the ones down south. By coincidence, bumped into Harry there, one of the JOGLE cyclists who I'd sat with on the plane. We had a few beers and mulled over our respective journeys. So now the adventure begins for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment