Tuesday 25 June 2013

Day 19: Hamilton to Larkhall (half day)

Distance: 6.6 miles
Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
Weather: Cloudy, sunny intervals
Cumulative distance: 317.4 miles

Another leisurely morning, another train ride and another sort walk.

After last night's meal, I briefly visited The Counting House, a local Wetherspoons pub. As the name implies, it was once a bank and this is evidenced inside with the impressive ornate ceiling decoration. For the beer aficionados, I had a pint of Flying Scotsman from the Caledonian brewery.

After another relaxing morning (I could get used to them!), I checked out of my 18th floor apartment at the Premier Inn and strolled down the hill to Glasgow Central station and caught the train back to Hamilton to rejoin where I finished yesterday.

Today's walk had been reduced to a short afternoon exercise. The highlight was watching two workmen remove the bunting from the streetlights using a hydraulic lift. It was comical - they were completely uncoordinated and clearly didn't have any respect for each other. The bunting frequently fell into the road and on one occasion became attached to a passing vehicle, as the younger worker chatted on his mobile phone, oblivious to the danger he was causing.

I arrived an hour early at my B&B, an old school, but fortunately they were open for guests. Tonight's dinner involves a mile's walk to a local hotel and restaurant.

Congratulations to Daniel and Hannah for winning their 100m and 600m races respectively!


No comments:

Post a Comment