Tuesday 11 June 2013

Day 5: Dornoch to Alness

Distance: 19.9 miles
Time: 7 hrs 35 mins
Weather: Cloudy with sunny spells
Cumulative distance: 100.9 miles

A tough physical day, mainly along country lanes.
Perhaps I'd better start with a medical update. Two fingers on my right hand are slightly swollen, but I can now manoeuvre them more than I could last night, so I think they should be fine. My feet are ok, but I'm being troubled by a blister on the end of my baby toe. I'm planning on visiting Cotswold Outdoor in Inverness on Thursday to see if they can stretch my right boot to solve this - I recall from their website that they have a tool for doing this.
After another full breakfast, I left last night's B&B, which was previously a bank, and set off down a lane which took me to the bridge which crosses the Dornoch Forth. Soon afterwards I left the A9 and joined a long country lane which led all the way to Alness. I passed many substantial houses, but didn't spot a soul, which ruled out having my water bottle refilled.
I felt tired at lunchtime so found a perfect spot for a lie down - two cable covers located on the verge at a quiet junction (see picture). I slept for an hour, disturbed only by the occasional tractor, and felt much better for it.
In Alness I ate at the local Indian restaurant and was the only customer!
So off to Inverness tomorrow, followed by a much awaited rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment