Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 2: Wick to Dunbeath

Distance: 20.3 miles
Time: 5 hrs 55 mins
Weather: Cloudy, sunny later
Cumulative distance: 37.8 miles

Lynne from the B&B kindly drove me to the town centre again, where I re-joined my route. Today's walk was more challenging than yesterday's, with more miles to be completed and a heavier rucksack to be carried. The entire route was on the main A road and the scenery was not as impressive as the previous day's.
Although there is usually a grass verge at the side of the road, I've discovered that the most efficient way to walk is by following the white line on the road itself. This is because the grass verge tends to be uneven and prone to subtly camouflaged holes, but also results in the walking leg being raised higher, which consumes greater energy. So for the walker, the road is a better option, so long as vigilance for approaching vehicles is adopted.
I experienced the loneliness of the long distance walker for the first time today. During six hours I only spoke to six people  - four passing cyclists and a couple at a roadside house who kindly refilled my water bottle. It was a relief to be able to have a chat with the owner of my B&B in Dunbeath. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary phase and that I'll have more conversations when I reach the long distance footpaths far Inverness. Of course I may miss this tranquility when friends and family join me for future stages!
After eating at the Italian in Wick last night, I strolled a short distance down the road to a restaurant with magnificent views across the bay.

1 comment:

  1. You did say you thought Scotland might be a bit lonely..Di x

    ReplyDelete