Wednesday 12 June 2013

Day 6: Alness to Inverness

Distance: 19.8 miles
Time: 6 hrs 45 mins
Weather: Sunny intervals, rain later
Cumulative distance: 120.7 miles

Good progress towards a rest day, but soaked.
Today was all about getting to Inverness. After taking a minor road from Alness, I joined the A9 for the last time. I crossed the Cromarty Firth bridge and plodded on.

Today's lunch venue was more upmarket than yesterday's as it was sheltered and offered a comfortable seat (see photo), but several bus drivers seemed disappointed that I would not be joining them.
As I approached Keswick, to the north of Inverness, roadworks on the bridge resulted in slow moving traffic. I was conscious that lots of people were photographing me, but many gave me a thumbs up and some clapped.
Then, it finally happened. After nearly 6 days and 120 miles, the heavens opened. As I was only a couple of miles from Inverness, I didn't bother to put on my waterproofs, so got completely soaked. A lorry driver took pity and gave me a meat pie!
I arrived at the Premier Inn somewhat bedraggled and soaked to the skin. Minutes later, I soaked in a hot bath and curled up under the duvet for an hour before dinner.
So the rest day awaits. I plan to sort out my boots and to reduce the contents of my rucksack. Hopefully this will make the walking a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment