Friday 7 June 2013

Day 1: John O' Groats to Wick

Distance: 17.5 miles
Time: 4 hrs 45 mins
Weather: Sunny

After yesterday's holiday atmosphere, the serious business of walking started today. After the second of many full English, Scottish and Welsh breakfasts to be consumed on my JOGLE journey (the first was on the plane yesterday!), Lynne from the Impala B&B kindly drove me to the station to catch the bus to John O' Groats. As I was returning to the same accommodation, I left some of my kit behind to lighten my load.

At John O' Groats I signed the official End to Enders book, had my photo taken by the infamous direction signpost and took a few personal photos. At 10.45am, some six months after conceiving the idea, I took my first steps in the direction of Land's End.

Weather conditions were absolutely perfect, bright and sunny with a pleasant breeze. This just wasn't what I'd anticipated when I was planning this part of the journey, expecting rain and grey skies. Although today's walk was entirely on the main road, the sea and moorland views were inspiring and the traffic was not an inconvenience. I passed by the base for the Deloitte's cycle ride which starts on Saturday - it was quite an impressive operation, with rows and rows of green tents erected and hundreds of bikes waiting to be reunited with their owners.

Not such a good day for roadside charity donations as I hardly saw a soul during the entire walk. All told, an ideal start to the journey, but to follow the famous sporting adage, I'll take each day at a time! :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment