Wednesday 26 June 2013

Day 20: Larkhall to Abington

Distance: 20.7 miles
Time: 5 hrs 50 mins
Weather: Sunny
Cumulative distance: 338.1 miles

A brisk walk along deserted roads, surrounded by wind turbines.

After yet another night at welcoming, clean and well equipped accommodation, I set out early in bright sunshine.

I immediately noticed the number of wind turbines within my line of sight, from single ones within a gust of wind from the B&B, to whole farms of them on the near horizon. Today it wasn't particularly windy, but no doubt there are many more days when it blows strongly.

After a few miles, the road ahead was closed to traffic due to resurfacing work. For two miles I had the entire road to myself as the gangs had not yet started for the day. This solitude was, however, only a taster for the rest of the day's walk. Most of the B road I was journeying on used to be the main route between Glasgow and Carlisle, until the motorway was constructed less than a mile away. The dual carriageway main road was downgraded to become a B road, with one carriageway used by the occasional farm vehicle or local motorist and the other dedicated as a cycle path. As a consequence, I had my own personal road on what must surely be the quietest dual carriageway in Britain.

I had hoped to stop for a drink at one of the only refreshment opportunities on the route, but unfortunately the bar/ restaurant wouldn't be open for another 3 hours.

With perfect walking conditions on deserted roads and only a five minute snack break, I arrived in Abington much earlier than planned. However, after another early check in courtesy of more friendly hotel staff, within minutes I'd finished my iced coke and was soaking in a hot, refreshing bath.

Finally, a plea. Inevitably, the volume of donations to my JustGiving website has started to slow down as many people have already made generous contributions. However, if you know any family, friends, work colleagues, wealthy benefactors, or anybody else who would like to make a donation to Cancer Research UK via my website, please encourage them. I'd really like to achieve my target of £15,000 , which would make a significant difference to CRUK. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment